Crispy taco shells, briny prawns, creamy avocado and cool sour cream make a wonderful combination of flavours and textures. And let’s not forget the tomatoes, coriander and garlic as well.
The following quantities will serve four (2 tacos each):
2 ripe tomatoes, diced
1 lemon, juiced
1\2 teaspoon dried chilli flakes
1\2 teaspoon ground cumin
2 tablespoons canola oil
1 onion, peeled and finely diced
3 green shallots, sliced thinly
3 cloves garlic, finely grated into a paste (see handy hint)
500g small cooked prawns
3 tablespoons roughly chopped coriander
8 taco shells
2 good handfuls of shredded lettuce
1 ripe avocado, diced
1 cup sour cream
1. Preheat the oven to 180C\350F. Combine the diced tomato, lemon juice, chilli flakes and cumin in a bowl. Stir thoroughly to combine.
2. Heat the canola oil in a frypan over a medium heat. Add the onion, green shallot and garlic to the pan and cook for three minutes or so.
3. Add the spicy tomato mixture and start adding the prawns. Cook until pink.
4. Add the chopped coriander leaves and stir.
5. Place the taco shells in the preheated oven for three minutes to crisp up. Remove the shells from the oven at the end of the cooking time and place them to one side.
6. To assemble the tacos, put some of the shredded lettuce into the base of each taco shell. Pile a generous amount of the prawn taco filling onto the top of the lettuce and then top the prawn mixture with the some of the diced avocado and a dollop of sour cream.
• Grate the garlic and sprinkle with a little salt. Using the flattened blade of a chef’s knife (wide blade), repeatedly squash the garlic until it is of a paste like consistency. This will add a wonderful smooth garlic flavour to your tacos.
• If you only have larger prawns, peel, devein and chop them into smaller pieces before use. Smaller prawns or prawn pieces make the taco filling easier to handle.Reads: 712